The Sanctuary - Youth in need

Last night was great! If any of you would like to join us on a night down at the Sanctuary Youth Center, please do! Here's the scoop on what happened...
10 of us came down to the Sanctuary Youth Center (A place for teens living on the street) and helped make a difference in the lives of these teens. A lot of us didn't know exactly what we were getting into, but after the training we received, things seemed to be ok. It was hard at first to think of things to talk about... but Rob and Galen (seen above) just told us to "Chill" with them. By the end of the night, some of the teens that haven't ever said much were chatting away to us. We brought down some sleeping bags, blankets, and clothes and at the end some of it was distributed to the teens in need. We had a big "THANK YOU" from some of the teens that received sleeping bags.
I look at the weather for next week and it says this: "Highs of 0, -3, -4 with lows of -8 with flurries next wednesday"... and I can't image being on the cold pavement without warmth or a roof over my head. I feel so blessed. Last night the wind and rain blew up against our house... but they were out there, downtown.
Last night we made a huge difference... it may not have seemed like much, but it was!!! Thanks to those who came down with us last night (Erik, Jason, Lauren, Rachel, Sarah, Jubie, Justin, Suzanne, and Nick) and brought clothing and blankets. If you'd like to help us, we are collecting blankets, sleeping bags, and hoodies/clothes, socks, gloves for the Christmas season. You can drop them by the church and write a note on it saying "Wes - Sanctuary Youth Center" on it, and we'll get it down there. Stay tuned for our next opportunity that you can be a part of!!!!!!
Here were some comments from some of us who went:
"I wanna do this again!"
"When's the next one?"
"I'm so in for the next one"
"I can see that the more I come down here the better the friendships I can build"
Want more info? Email me at weslinde@telus.net or see the Sanctuary's website at http://www.sanctuaryyouth.org
Till next time,
-WUNIT-

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home